Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | New packets at bnetdocs?

AuthorMessageTime
Networks
I don't mean to start a commotion but are there a few new packets at bnetdocs?

Some I don't remember seeing as well as others:

[C>0x59]    SID_SETEMAIL
[S>0x59] SID_SETEMAIL
[C>0x5A] SID_RESETPASSWORD
[C>0x5B] SID_CHANGEEMAIL
[C>0x32]    SID_CHECKDATAFILE
[S>0x32] SID_CHECKDATAFILE
January 9, 2005, 8:18 PM
Arta
Yup. Like I said a while back, BnetDocs is changing muchly :)
January 9, 2005, 8:46 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=10149.msg94717#msg94717 date=1105303619]
[/quote]

Nice.  Now how about adding some public documentation on the rest of the SID_AUTH_* packets?  I'm sure it's already on the site, just priviledged.
January 9, 2005, 8:55 PM
UserLoser.
You can thank your favorite person ever for most of those newer packets up there and Arta ofcourse for BnetDocs
January 9, 2005, 9:04 PM
Mephisto
Bah!  :p
January 9, 2005, 9:18 PM
Arta
[quote author=dxoigmn link=topic=10149.msg94718#msg94718 date=1105304142]
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=10149.msg94717#msg94717 date=1105303619]
[/quote]

Nice.  Now how about adding some public documentation on the rest of the SID_AUTH_* packets?  I'm sure it's already on the site, just priviledged.
[/quote]

It's not actually. There is no more privileged (practically none anyway). The SID_AUTH stuff isn't displayed because it's horribly incomplete and no one seems to have any decent notes for me to work with! Contributions welcome.

Just so that everyone knows:

Nearly everything on BnetDocs is now visible to everyone. The following is a list of reasons why things may not be displayed:

- Incomplete information to the point that the documentation would be more confusing than useful. This accounts for most of the stuff that's not displayed.
- Information that we deem may be damaging to Battle.net or its users if it were publicised. This king of thing generally isn't added to the site at all, for obvious reasons.
- Information that the contributor has requested to remain private. There's not much of this.
- Information about things that are no longer used (ever).

Of the things that are incomplete, I'm doing my best to bring them up to publishable standard. I look over the things that are marked private regularly to make sure it's still worth keeping them private.

When BnetDocs started, it was my strong feeling that the purpose of the site should be to provide people with a 'leg up' - to get people started, to the point where they could do research and figure things out for themselves. When I was starting, that is what I wanted, and that was the motivation behind keeping so much of the site private. I no longer feel that that approach is valid. There is now so much information and source code available that no one really needs to do any research unless they want to.  Thus, I feel it's more important to have an authoritative source of information that is available to everyone. For that reason, I have made as much information public as I can, user accounts are now optional, and I've worked on the site a lot to make it easier and quicker to use and to enable a more collaborative effort for updates and additions to the site.

As always, suggestions/contributions are welcome!
January 9, 2005, 9:46 PM
Networks
Perhaps a way to submit packet information may get you more complete and more  contributions.
January 10, 2005, 1:17 AM
KkBlazekK
Maybe a page to show added packets? The news page doesn't really cover this.
January 10, 2005, 1:41 AM
tA-Kane
Arta, see the bug in Related Links for C->SID_SETEMAIL? It's listing S->SID_SETEMAIL twice.
January 10, 2005, 6:47 AM
Arta
Thanks Kane, I'll have a look.

Every page contains a "contribute/report error" link. That can be used to send me things. Alternatively you can email me.

I'll add a recently modified list to the news page, that's a good idea :)
January 10, 2005, 7:56 AM
tA-Kane
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=10149.msg94752#msg94752 date=1105343803]Every page contains a "contribute/report error" link. That can be used to send me things. Alternatively you can email me.[/quote]Bleh. I wanted people to see the bugs in BnetDocs. It's so good, it's just too good to be true. There has to be something wrong with it!  :P
January 10, 2005, 2:41 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=10149.msg94752#msg94752 date=1105343803]
Thanks Kane, I'll have a look.

Every page contains a "contribute/report error" link. That can be used to send me things. Alternatively you can email me.

I'll add a recently modified list to the news page, that's a good idea :)
[/quote]

You could just change the color of the links for newly added packets and provide a legend of some sort.
January 10, 2005, 8:03 PM
Kp
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=10149.msg94780#msg94780 date=1105387427]You could just change the color of the links for newly added packets and provide a legend of some sort.[/quote]

That'd be fine for the short term, but what if every new contribution needs its own color?  Pretty soon it gets tedious. :)  Best just to post a date-changed summary somewhere if people care about additions/changes.
January 10, 2005, 8:46 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Or just make new contributions in red, and turn them to blue after a while (~month).

@Arta: thanks for BnetDocs :)  I have decoded a few packets, but much of my work is based off of BnetDocs.  It's also a great reference site.  My favorite upgrade so far was the move of the database (which made the site faster).  Keep up the hard work!
January 11, 2005, 2:27 AM
KkBlazekK
On the topic of bnetdocs, me and hdx noticed that the search no longer works at all. After searching you just get returned to the main search page.
January 21, 2005, 1:38 AM
Arta
Thanks, fixed now.
January 21, 2005, 7:30 PM
JoeTheOdd
For the RJ-47er's among us, could you make the left hand side bar cached or something, since its the same among all the pages? I'm not sure how you have BnetDocs set up, but maybe move the bar to a external HTML page and use include tags, so we cache the bar and just load the other info?
January 25, 2005, 8:09 PM
Arta
I could make a framed version, I suppose. Aside from that, there's nothing really. It's not cacheable because it changes.

Have you selected not to display the sections you don't use? That should speed it up a lot. If you're really stuck, you can hide all the sections and use the search page to find things. It'll detect if you enter a message ID and you'll get a quicklink above the search results.
January 25, 2005, 8:38 PM
KkBlazekK
If you make a framed version, don't make the side bar reload all the time, also just make the text hide when you close a section, don't reload the page please. Thanks.
January 25, 2005, 8:43 PM
Arta
If it didn't reload the menu when you hide something, there'd be no point. Obviously, the menu wouldn't reload when you just clicked a regular link.
January 26, 2005, 8:05 AM
KkBlazekK
No, use some javascript and just make that part of the page disapear, like on some menu's I've seen before. It just hides that section of the page and doesn't reload it. Don't ask me how they did it tho.

Also, after your login expires can you add a continue without logging in link?
January 26, 2005, 1:40 PM
tA-Kane
[quote author=Blaze - S-1-0-0 link=topic=10149.msg96730#msg96730 date=1106746839]No, use some javascript and just make that part of the page disapear, like on some menu's I've seen before. It just hides that section of the page and doesn't reload it. Don't ask me how they did it tho.[/quote]Javascript isn't exactly old-browser friendly.
January 26, 2005, 2:19 PM
KkBlazekK
I'm sorry but your just going to have to update your Nestcape Navigator version 0.3248
January 26, 2005, 2:22 PM
Kp
JavaScript also doesn't play well with people who run tight security configurations, nor does it play well with textmode browsers that are built without it (for example, w3m and lynx).  It's a bad solution.
January 26, 2005, 3:43 PM
Arta
Javascript won't help.

When you hide something with Javascript, it's only hidden, not removed - it's still in the HTML for the page. Thus, the server still has to generate that HTML. Thus, using javascript to hide a menu will not confer any speed improvement.
January 27, 2005, 2:09 PM
KkBlazekK
It was only if it was a framed version, thus removing the need to refresh that page anyway.
January 28, 2005, 12:08 AM
JoeTheOdd
On your TestBNCS page, the bar on the side is pretty 56k-friendly. Could you do something like that in a frame, and then have a second frame with the individual packet information?

PS: The Logon Sequence page has no <title></title> thing.
January 29, 2005, 5:34 PM
Arta
Sure. The menu frame would still be slow to load though, because there's lots more in it.
January 30, 2005, 12:50 AM
JoeTheOdd
[quote]Obviously, the menu wouldn't reload when you just clicked a regular link.[/quote]

Also, I could live with loading it every time I visit. Its not the wait time that pisses me off. Its that it takes soo damn long theres a 25% chance of the connection being dropped before the packet info is even loaded. 25% is a lot compaired to how much I use it.

[edit]The logon sequence page still has no <title></title> thingy, and in the Diablo I section, you spelled Diablo wrong.[/edit]
January 30, 2005, 3:10 AM

Search