Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | job salaries

AuthorMessageTime
tenbytes
what do people with computer engineer degrees make having no experience? 5 years experience?

and would having a business degree increase it? i'm considering dual majoring in computer engineering and business, not for the money, but I would like to have the condo and benz.  ;D

thanks.
January 6, 2005, 7:18 PM
iago
I was working a student "IT Security" job, and was making $18.96.  That's no experience, but a bit of a different field then you're asking about.

But remember, it's not about the money, it's about doing what you enjoy :P
January 6, 2005, 10:56 PM
tenbytes
[quote author=iago link=topic=10128.msg94477#msg94477 date=1105052218]
[/quote]

sure, if you grew up rich or weathly :P
January 6, 2005, 11:05 PM
iago
[quote author=tenbytes link=topic=10128.msg94479#msg94479 date=1105052712]
[quote author=iago link=topic=10128.msg94477#msg94477 date=1105052218]
[/quote]

sure, if you grew up rich or weathly :P
[/quote]

I didn't.  I didn't grow up poor, but I have to work and buy most stuff for myself.  But given two jobs where one pays decently more but looks crappy, I'd pick the job I'd enjoy, easily.  It was a coincidence that the job I wanted (Security) was the highest paying student job this term :)
January 6, 2005, 11:23 PM
peofeoknight
I am going into computer engineering, and I believe the starting pay was around 50,000. I dont know what it is after five years, but it is only going to go up! I would imagine your pay would be almost 6 figures if you have experience.
January 7, 2005, 12:24 AM
Grok
[quote author=iago link=topic=10128.msg94481#msg94481 date=1105053805]
I didn't.  I didn't grow up poor, but I have to work and buy most stuff for myself.  But given two jobs where one pays decently more but looks crappy, I'd pick the job I'd enjoy, easily.  It was a coincidence that the job I wanted (Security) was the highest paying student job this term :)
[/quote]

Ah, different philosophies lead to different opinions.  The advice I give people is take the higher paying job that you dislike, make a lot of money, and go home to spend it on things you really love.

The "starving artist" is a perfect example.  He loves what he does, but cannot afford to eat.  Meanwhile, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company has enough money to spend on all the art supplies he wants, while eating fresh lobster, even flying to Maine for dinner.
January 11, 2005, 9:10 PM
tenbytes
[quote author=Grok link=topic=10128.msg94898#msg94898 date=1105477837]
Ah, different philosophies lead to different opinions.  The advice I give people is take the higher paying job that you dislike, make a lot of money, and go home to spend it on things you really love.

The "starving artist" is a perfect example.  He loves what he does, but cannot afford to eat.  Meanwhile, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company has enough money to spend on all the art supplies he wants, while eating fresh lobster, even flying to Maine for dinner.
[/quote]

yup  ;D
January 11, 2005, 10:18 PM
tA-Kane
[/quote]

Ah, different philosophies lead to different opinions. The advice I give people is take the higher paying job that you dislike, make a lot of money, and go home to spend it on things you really love.

The "starving artist" is a perfect example. He loves what he does, but cannot afford to eat. Meanwhile, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company has enough money to spend on all the art supplies he wants, while eating fresh lobster, even flying to Maine for dinner.
[/quote]The problem with that CEO is that in order to make all that money, he's likely not able to spend as much time with family. So even though he flies to Maine to eat fresh lobster, dinner isn't a long time to spend with your family.
January 12, 2005, 12:53 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=tA-Kane link=topic=10128.msg94925#msg94925 date=1105491211]
The problem with that CEO is that in order to make all that money, he's likely not able to spend as much time with family. So even though he flies to Maine to eat fresh lobster, dinner isn't a long time to spend with your family.
[/quote]

If he has a family, and at least he can eat.
January 12, 2005, 12:56 AM
tA-Kane
What would be better: a high-paying job without a family or a low-paying job with a family?

Hint: if you answered the first of the two, you are a greedy bastard.
January 12, 2005, 1:04 AM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Or maybe your whole family was brutally murdered and they are no longer alive (and at this point you had money already).
January 12, 2005, 1:44 AM
crashtestdummy
[quote author=tA-Kane link=topic=10128.msg94928#msg94928 date=1105491856]
What would be better: a high-paying job without a family or a low-paying job with a family?

[/quote]
It's quite possible to have a high paying job with a family.
January 12, 2005, 4:49 AM
j0k3r
How about a well paying job with a family? I plan to live on my own until around 30, working on my job and whatever, then settling in with a family when I'm well enough off.
January 12, 2005, 3:57 PM
Grok
Bad assumption to imply or hint that a well-paid person is not a familiy person, or does not have time for their family.  You're simply looking for a reason to take a low-paying job that you love rather than a higher-paying job you despise.  But I'll go with you on this and say --- if you loved that family, you would martyr yourself and take the higher-paying job to give your family a nicer lifestyle.  Since you picked the job you loved with low pay, you're a selfish bastard.
January 12, 2005, 5:14 PM
Mephisto
Good one Grok.  :)

At any rate, I've been hearing that it's becoming very difficult to get a decent job in the computer industry these days; especially with the increasing competition over the years and into the future.
January 12, 2005, 8:07 PM
woodtroll
[quote author=tA-Kane link=topic=10128.msg94928#msg94928 date=1105491856]

[/quote]

I am sure you can find a job you like while making very good money at it. If you wanted to become a doctor. And that is what you like and you succeeded. Wouldn't that be fun? Fun+money =p
January 13, 2005, 1:30 AM
Intangir
yea id really like to know how to get some of these elusive high paying IT jobs i hear about

ive been working in the computer industry for 6 years and i still make dick...

the game industry is bad news guys dont get into it, unless you are independantly wealthy and start your own company ;)
January 13, 2005, 3:37 PM
Grok
You guys can compete for my job .... when I die :)  Otherwise, I'm not telling you how to get the money.  If you work in the industry long enough, and you're smart enough, it will come to you.  Not the money, but the how.  If you never can figure out how, you don't need to be going after it, as you will fail anyway for not knowing what it is you are really doing.

I will give you a hint -- understand first what motivates people.  Learn the lessons taught in popular success books, like "7 habits of highly effective people".  One of the most important things I learned that contributed to my success was that:

People will nearly always do whatever it takes to make themselves right.

That's your foot in the door.  Learn the truth in that statement, and develop your strategy with it in mind.  That is NOT the only thing you need to know, but I would say it alone is worth 50% of the money I make.
January 13, 2005, 5:58 PM
Mephisto
Whast is your average yearly income?
January 16, 2005, 10:01 PM
LoRd
[quote author=tA-Kane link=topic=10128.msg94925#msg94925 date=1105491211]
[/quote]

Ah, different philosophies lead to different opinions. The advice I give people is take the higher paying job that you dislike, make a lot of money, and go home to spend it on things you really love.

The "starving artist" is a perfect example. He loves what he does, but cannot afford to eat. Meanwhile, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company has enough money to spend on all the art supplies he wants, while eating fresh lobster, even flying to Maine for dinner.
[/quote]The problem with that CEO is that in order to make all that money, he's likely not able to spend as much time with family. So even though he flies to Maine to eat fresh lobster, dinner isn't a long time to spend with your family.
[/quote]

Nor would he have the time to paint which is why he took the job in the first place.  He's basically neglecting everything he loves for money thus making him a sell-out.

[quote]But I'll go with you on this and say --- if you loved that family, you would martyr yourself and take the higher-paying job to give your family a nicer lifestyle.  Since you picked the job you loved with low pay, you're a selfish bastard.[/quote]

On the contrary, a loving mother or father, or any sensible human being for that matter, would realize that money isn't everything.  If you were truely in love with someone, you wouldn't be spending a good portion of your life away from them, even if it was to be what you consider a better provider for them.

Being a child who was brought up in a similar financial situation, I know what it's like to not have your family close by your side, especially while growing up.  My father was a wealthy man and he provided for me very well, however the fact that I have nearly all of the materialistic things I could ever want, I still miss the simple things that I was deprived of: a dad who's there when you first learn how to ride a bike, there to play basketball with you, there when you get your first girlfriend, there to teach you about life and how to live it, basically, just a childhood.

I guess you're right; people will do or say anything to make themselves right, especially a "greedy bastard" like yourself who thinks that love comes in dollars and cents.
January 17, 2005, 4:26 PM
tA-Kane
I'm on the opposite end of the same pole; my dad's always been unwealthy, yet he's almost always at work trying to pay for the family. Indeed, just like lord, I've missed out on things that I wish I didn't because of such.
January 18, 2005, 6:38 AM
j0k3r
My dad has usually done faily well, except in the past couple of years, however he's doing quite well financially again. While I was a kid he did well and spent time with his family, I have some fond memories of such, and I was provided for quite well. While he was home all the time and not providing so well, I didn't like him so much. Now he's away most of the week on business, and I couldn't be happier about it.
January 19, 2005, 6:41 AM

Search