Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | 'File in use' problems

AuthorMessageTime
Okee
Windows XP SP1.

I've been having this problem lately, on Windows XP. I have a few folders that are on my desktop that I want to delete, but when I try to delete them, it says they're in use. Naturally, the first thing I did was open my proc manager and close all the running processes that I could. The folder still says in use, when I try to delete it. So then, I delete all the files from inside the folder, with success. Still, the empty folder is in use when I try to delete it. So, I just moved it to the trash bin to get it out of my way. Now, when I try to empty trash bin, it still says the folder is in use.

I have rebooted dozens of times since this started happening. I now have several folders doing this, a few of with I know are not viruses because they came from respectable websites.

Anyone experience this before? or know how to fix this?
December 28, 2004, 8:42 PM
Forged
It happend to me once, it went away when I formatted.
December 28, 2004, 11:16 PM
Forged
That isn't why I formatted.  An unused folder on my desktop didn't really bother me all that much.

Did you try starting in safe mode though?
December 28, 2004, 11:49 PM
Adron
Try procexp and search for a handle to it.
December 29, 2004, 12:41 AM
iago
get "Process Viewer" or "Handle" from www.sysinternals.net.  That'll tell you what's using what.
December 29, 2004, 2:23 AM
peofeoknight
For spyware files that sometimes do this I just boot into safe mode w/ command prompt and just delete the directory from that.
December 29, 2004, 3:11 AM

Search